Saturday, August 11, 2012

The Learning Rock-More Field Journaling

The organizer for this workshop is California Institute for Biodiversity, and the teacher is naturalist, author, and artist John Muir (Jack) Laws. It is a well-organized quality educational experience.


As you enjoy these views, you may think it looks like too much fun, but this is indeed the Learning Rock. See the teacher there stressing the importance of children learning by observing nature.


On the boulder across the stream participants share how their students benefit from scientific investigation outdoors.


Notice the huge Indian Rhubarb leaves growing beside the boulder.


One leaf illustrates the importance of making the most of a teachable moment.

From my seat on the Learning Rock I took this picture upstream for you to see.


Capturing the moment for you, I missed the moment overhead! 

As I clicked the camera, I realized that a raptor had called and the teacher and other students were all worked up. Then we were instructed to sketch our experience in our field journals.

I'll take this for the blog.~~~Look! Upstream! Raptor!~~~What happened?

Should I leave my camera in my pocket?

A Teachable Moment
With Heart



No comments:

Post a Comment