Thursday, March 15, 2012

Ah! Nature!

One warm summer day my 2 year old grandson ran into his room after playing outside to cool off. He sat in his rocking chair, looked out his open window and said, 'Ah! Nature!' When my daughter told me about it, I laughed with a full heart and felt I'd done something right to make nature opportunities available to my daughters. His mother in turn had done the same for him. 

I just 'bisited' with Mr. Ah! Nature! He's now a 3 year old who still has the wonder of nature. We caught a June Bug in the bug box his mother bought him. 


He used the 'snips' to put grass into the box for the brown beetle to have for food. He decided it was easier to use his fingers than the tweezers.


The magnifier in the top of the box helped H. to see the furry underside of the bug.


My grandson, the future entomologist, enjoyed the experience so much that I was concerned he wouldn't agree to release his catch. We talked about it; rather I talked about it. You can imagine my surprise when I later found he and his mother had released the beetle near the bush where we found it. 


That night before bed we journaled about our find. With my help H. traced the net he caught the beetle with. Then he glued this picture of us into the journal along with an internet picture of the June Bug.


 Finally, I wrote for him, 'I put him in myself.'

'Out the bush.' (I let him go by the bush.)


Then he drew the beetle in the net we traced. He also drew an uneven line on the side of the page and said it was the beetle crawling.

The journaling idea is from my dear friend who is the grandmother of a 3 year old that I've posted several entries about.


Missing the Grandsons
With Heart

1 comment:

  1. This tidbit makes me especially happy.
    I know what to look forward to!
    Thanks Sister!

    ReplyDelete