Friday, March 30, 2012

Feeding the Birds and Listening to the Cicadas

Several of my posts have been about this Little Girl and her grandmother Moga keeping a Journal Book  about their discoveries together. This practice that my dear friend has encouraged me to start a nature journal with my grandson when I visited him. I'll have to be creative with our long distance discovering.


She sets out seed for the birds and writes about who comes to dinner.


Circles make good eggs.


She makes peanut butter feeders.

The discoverers heard cicadas this year. It's marvelous to hear them sounding like a never-ending chorus of saws. These particular cicadas emerge from underground every 13 years to make a family.


The next time they emerge, the Little Girl will be 15 years old. I hope the 'Journal Book' will still be around so she can see how beautifully she decorated the cicada pages. Not only has this journaling nurtured some storytelling skills, it will be a treasure at the next cicada emergence.


Check out this clip of a single cicada and its song at YouTube.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mah26og11ms


Check out this great resource that Moga sent me!
Thank you dear friend.


In Awe of My Natural Friends
With Heart

1 comment:

  1. If I wasn't Chief... I'd go for being Moga :-)

    ReplyDelete