Saturday, January 28, 2012

Aqua Words: Life"s Got Meaning

An activity from Project Wild Aquatic is to brainstorm 'water' words, so that's what the trout raising class did last week. It's a way to become aware of the importance of a healthy supply of water to each one of us.


Each child took ideas from our brainstorming session and came up with two rhyming lines about what water means to them. Then they put the lines together in their table groups of 6 or 7 students and made a rhythm to go with it, like a rap.


Check this one out!
Life's Got Meaning


H2O as you can see
What we need, you and me.

Rapids booming in the water
Trout are swimming with the otter.

Water gushing, really rushing.
Life is teeming. Life's got meaning.

Look at the rivers full of life.
What a wonderful sight.

Water, water. It makes us ring.
Hey, it's Poseidon's thing

When I'm dreaming in my room,
I can hear the rushing waves boom.

Water,water in the pool
I dip my toe and it is cool.

Try coming up with your own words about the importance of water. I encouraged the children to use their senses and their imaginations to help them  come up with a personal rhyme. Be quiet a few moments and let your imagination bubble up. You could even comment to me what you thought of.


Flowing 
With Heart 

2 comments:

  1. Nature 101: The Rocky Branch
    A clear stream flows in the swamp.
    It meanders around cypress knees.
    Mossy banks enclose it.
    On the sandy shore beside it
    I see a story in animal tracks.
    A deer leaped across here.
    A raccoon wandered down the creek.
    I wonder what the coon was seeking.
    A squirrel scampered up the bank.
    And then a fox came by.
    Too bad I wasn't here to witness this swamp tale, but I can see it in my mind's eye.
    And the Rocky Branch just keeps on flowing.

    ReplyDelete
  2. The safe stillness of August at dusk, the lazy lapping of the swimming pool tells the tale of little swimmers gone away for now, a girl gazes, first at her father, then up to the milky way, listening to the hum of the crickets, the water slows to stillness, their voices join the music of the night

    R

    ReplyDelete