Sunday, January 8, 2012

Gianna's and Margaret's Fossil Finds

Remember the rock my nature friend Gianna brought to me? We wondered if it is a fossil and did some research.


I thought the shape of the imprint looked familiar. I searched my own box of sea treasures and found this fossil.  In 1985 Mark and I took our daughters Karen and Janie exploring an old railroad bed near Tulsa, Oklahoma and found this great 'shell' and plenty of crinoid stem pieces. A common name for crinoid is sea lily. You'll see the pieces in the last picture.


It fits! Do you see that right below that spot is another imprint that would be made by a larger shell of the same type. The amazing thing to me is that Gianna's fossil is from a beach in California, far away from where mine was found.


After visiting two websites I identified the shell as a Spiriferid Brachiopod. Mark who helps me simplify complicated information asked if it has a common name. I love the challenge of research and found that it's also called a butterfly shell.


Thinking of an interesting background for a picture of the fossil, I noticed this beautiful red geranium leaf. I couldn't resist one more photo.

Check out these sites:

No comments:

Post a Comment