Thursday, January 19, 2012

Trees and Stones

Heart stones find me, and I love it. My friend Marci keeps me supplied with her finds from the beach. Some she polishes, and some she leaves as they are. Sometimes I commemorate a hike with a stone I find along the way like the tan one in this picture.  

Once my brother Bryan and I were walking a gravel bed talking about our dad who had been in the gravel business many years ago. Our reminiscing made me want to find a heart stone to remember the day with. Bryan reached down into a shallow flow of water and pulled out a perfect pocket heart! See! These special treasures find me!

I love to give a pocket heart away to a friend who needs a reminder nearby that they're special. There's not a way for me to give you one in this post, so next time you're outdoors look down to see if a heart has 'found' you.


My heart friend Amy sent me the following quote a few days ago. It made me think of my heart stones and this book I found at Pt. Reyes Station, CA. 

Believe one who knows: you will find something greater in woods than in books. Trees and stones will teach you that which you can never learn from masters. 
                                                                                        ~St. Bernard de Clairvaux 
Wonder
With Heart

3 comments:

  1. I love looking at your collection or seeing little heart stones here and there around the house. I still have one that you gave me a few years ago in the coin compartment of my wallet - a nice surprise when I go to get some change!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I too have a few of your heart stones and they are gentle reminders of our friendship.

    ReplyDelete
  3. You have collected many hearts along the way. Mine included.

    ReplyDelete